A Summary of the Challenges That Face Atheists and Christians…
So, I’m reading an excellant book called, “The Twilight of Atheism: Dennett and McGrath in dialogue”. It’s an excellant book on debate between McGrath (a Christian) and Dennett (an atheist). Basically, they present the debate and allow writers, christians and atheists to comment on the debate. The topic was basically centered around whether atheism was dying or was finding a “new dawn”. I recommend it so far.
But, in the prologue, the moderator of the debate gives an excellant summary of the challenges that face Atheists and Christians in their dialogue with one another.
For the Christian:
1. Their unwillingness to understand evolution, science (especially when it comes to the word “theory”), and their general anti-intellectual attitude (especially in America).
2. The hypocrisy of the church and it’s failure to live up to what we confess
3. The hermeneutical challenge to understanding the Bible, explaning contradictions, God causing pain and suffering, etc. Or explaning why Gen. 1-2 must either be taken literally or not.
4. The Problem of Evil and the idea of a good God. (by the way, I agree this is a challenge, just not a strictly logical one. I will be writing more this in My Story)
For the Atheist
1. The inability to really explain where reason and rationality come from in the first place (before people get uptight on this one, he quotes specfic naturalists on this issue who aren’t Christians, such as Patricia Churchland)2. Explaning human conciousness if the material is all there is
3. Explaning human Free Will (Yes, this is a tension in the scientific community)
4. Explaning human morality in light of a materialistic point of view (Note, this isn’t to say Atheists ARENT Moral, just that they have a hard time explaning WHY)
5. Explain why Christianity and evolution is NESSECARILY contradictory.
I thought this was a decent summary on both sides. What say you?